Are you looking for the best HVLP spray gun for woodworking? After researching on the market and customer reviews; we’re here with the list of the 5 best woodworking paint sprayers. Spray guns are used for painting in about 75% -95% of the industry in the world today. Spray guns are commonly used to spray paint on different surfaces, spray lacquer, varnish stain, liquid filler, sealer, etc., depending on the compressor and the air.
A variety of spray guns and different sizes of nozzles are available in the market. Round, oval, fan-shaped, and 450 angle nozzles are commonly found. Some nozzles mix the dye, control the air and the materials. Spray guns usually depend on the size and capacity of the container.
Types of spray gun
There are different types of woodworking tools available on the market. Spray guns are one of the most familiar tools for painting furniture. However, different types of spray guns are mentioned below.
- Suction type: In suction type spray gun, painting materials pass through a curved tube to the nozzle to spray the painting materials.
- Pressure type: In a pressure-type spray gun, painting materials pass through the nozzle with the help of strong air pressure to spray the painting materials.
- Internal mix type: In an internal mix type spray gun, both painting materials and air pass through the nozzle at the same time simultaneously with the help of strong air pressure to spray the painting materials.
- External mix type: In an external mix type spray gun, the air pressure and the painting materials are combined at the head of the nozzle and sprayed on the specific surface at the same time.
- Blander type: In a blander type spray gun, only wind energy is sent to the nozzle, and the required painting materials are sent to the nozzle by a trigger. Here, the trigger controls the painting materials.
- Non-blander type: In a non-blander type spray gun, the trigger controls the flow of dyes and the air pressure. There are usually two types of compressors and tanks available on the market. E.g. Portable compressor tank, Stationery compressor tank.
Air pressure enters the nozzle from the compressor tank and exits at different pressures, and this air enters the spray gun. There are two types of compressors available on the market, i.e., small and large. The air pressure goes through the compressor to the air transformer, which removes dust, oil, rust, and moisture from the nozzle; thus, there can be no dirt moisture in the container, and the paint products can mix nicely with the air. There are two types of gauges in the air transformer, one with a compressor tank and the other with a spray gun and a meter for measuring air pressure.
Parts of a spray gun
A spray gun has some basic parts, which are as follows;
- Container: It is like a jar made of aluminum in which the dye is kept in a liquid state.
- Cap: It sends paint products to the nozzle.
- Trigger and nozzle valve: The paint material came out and is applied to the required surface through the trigger pressure.
- Frame: It exceeds the speed of the air.
- Fluid needle adjustment: It controls the needle of spraying liquid.
- Locking bolt: It stops the flow of fluid.
- Air cap: Air flows to the nozzle through the air carrying cap.
- Lever lock: It closes the container.
- Fluid adjustment valve screw: It has the opportunity to flow air with pressure.
- Air valve: Like the fluid adjustment valve screw, it has the opportunity to flow air with pressure.
How to use a spray gun
- At first, follow the safety rules during working.
- Prepare the surface for painting.
- In case of painting furniture, varnish it properly.
- To get the best result, the temperature should be 210 centigrade or 600 Fahrenheit, where you’ll spray the paint material.
- Adjust the gun with the fluid adjustment screw and control the required fluid.
- Adjust the air cap needs for proper spray sampling.
- Spray on a crepe paper to check the proper spraying.
- The spray gun must be kept 152 mm to 203 mm (6 to 8) away from the floor or surface during spraying.
- Spray continuously by pressing in parallel.
- Drive the spray gun slowly when you want to move from left to right or up.
- Don’t keep the spray gun in one place for a long time.
- Hold the spray gun parallel to the surface at a 90-degree angle.
- Move the spray gun in different directions maintaining it at a 90-degree angle.
- Start spraying from any corner of the job, finish spraying every corner or corner, and then spray towards the middle.
- Place the object on a stand above the floor during spraying.
How to clean a spray gun
- The spray gun is an instrument, so you should clean and use it very carefully. Keep the spray gun neat and clean after use, and keep it in the proper place. The following steps you can follow in cleaning the spray gun.
- Lose the air cap and remove the fluid from the container.
- Hold the air cap’s head with a clean cloth and remove the paint materials from the air cap by pressing the trigger.
- Remove the spray gun from the container and clean or wipe thoroughly the pipe below with a cloth.
- Clean the air cap and container by filling the container with thinner and spraying.
- Clean the inside of the spray gun with a brush.
- Clean the area or hole with a brush through which the paint material comes out. That means clean the air cap with a brush and thinner.
- Clean the holes in the air cap with a wooden stick or toothpick.
- Dry the spray gun in the air and keep it in the proper place.
Best hvlp spray gun for woodworking
There are the 5 best hvlp spray guns for woodworking are given below with their description and reviews.
1. YATTICH Paint Sprayer
The YATTICH HVLP Spray Gun comes with some excellent features like 3 Spray Patterns, 5 Copper Nozzles Size, Adjustable Flow Control, Pure copper motor & Heat dissipation. The horizontal, vertical, and circular spray patterns give you max comfort during spraying. The 1.2mm, 1.5mm, 1.8mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm size nozzles give you a versatile spraying facility. You’ll get one piece Paint Sprayer, 1000 ml Container, Viscosity Cup, Nozzle Cleaning Needle, Cleaning Brush, Spanner, Lid Pot, User Manual. You can use latex paint in diluted conditions. It is the Best Seller Rank #1 in Body Repair Paint Spray Guns on Amazon.
- Brand: YATTICH
- Model: YT-201-A
- Weight: 4.8 pounds
- Power consumption: 700W
- Wattage: 700 watts
- Container capacity: 1000 ml
- Max flow: 1000 ml/min
- Nozzle size: 1.2, 1.5, 1.8, 2.0. 2.5, 3.0 mm
- Max viscosity: 100 DIN-s
- Power cord: 2m / 6.5ft
- 3 Spray Patterns
- 5 Copper Nozzles Size
- Flow control knob
- Double-layer insulation materials
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Works great
- Multiple nozzles
- Worth the money
- The grip is close to the motor.
- Sometimes it creates hot air.
Tips: Please don’t use it in any direction, upside down.
2. Wagner HVLP Paint Sprayer
Wagner Spraytech 0518080 Paint or Stain Sprayer comes with HVLP paint spraying technology, superior nozzle, powerful two-stage turbine, adjustable setting, and great design. HVLP technology gives a smooth finish, and versatile nozzles work for spraying numerous materials and projects. You can easily paint your walls, door, window, decks, furniture, and various surfaces with paints and thinner materials by a powerful two-stage turbine. A long hose covers more areas and reduces hand fatigue. It is the Best Seller Rank #5 in Power Paint & HVLP Sprayers on Amazon.
- Brand: Wagner
- Model: 0518080
- Weight: 11.18 pounds
- Voltage: 110 volts
- Warranty: One year
- Special Features: Washable
- HVLP paint spraying technology
- Superior, versatile nozzle
- Powerful two-stage turbine
- Pressure control dial
- Paint flow adjuster
- 20 ft. long hose
- Easy to set up
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Works great
- A convenient handle
- A long hose
- Not for use with water-based paint
3. HomeRight HVLP Paint Sprayer
The HomeRight C800971 HVLP spray gun offers the ultimate DIYing experience. It comes with some fantastic features like Versatile Use, Adjustable Setting, 3 Brass Spray Tips, Super Finish Max Size, More Versatile, Larger Capacity, Less Thinning Required, US-based Customer Service, etc.
It is a multipurpose woodworking paint sprayer that you can use for spraying small to large-sized DIY projects. With the help of an adjustable air cap, you can spray paint horizontally, vertically, and round direction. The 450 watts of powerful motor helps you spray a wide variety of paints like chalk, milk, latex, enamels, primers, clear sealer, polyurethane, stain, and varnish. The 3 (Red-green-blue) Brass Spray Tips (4.0mm, 2.0mm, 1.5mm) gives you a consistent and high-quality spray pattern. It is the Best Seller Rank #1 in Power Paint & HVLP Sprayers on Amazon.
- Brand: HomeRight
- Model: C800971
- Weight: 3.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 9.5 x 6 x 12.5 inches
- Colour: Multicolor
- 450 watts of powerful motor
- Super Finish Max Size
- Two years warranty
- 40 oz. cup size
- 10’X10′ coverage area
- Cover 2-3 gallons large project size
- Adjustable air cap
- A material flow control knob
- A useful cleaning brush
- 3 (4.0mm/2.0mm/1.5mm)) Brass Spray Tips
- 3 spray patterns (horizontal, vertical, and circular)
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- No compressor required
- Suitable for countless DIY projects
- Consistent and high-quality spray
- Quick and efficient Customer Service
Cons: It is designed for small projects
4. REXBETI HVLP Electric Spray Gun
The REXBETI Ultimate-750 Paint Sprayer comes with some outstanding features, such as & 4 nozzle sizes, Adjustable flow control, an Extra-long power cord & a lightweight body. You can use it for painting furniture, crafts, dressers, cabinets, drawers, doors, and walls. You can adjust the paint flow by the adjustable flow control knob. A 6.6 ft. long power cord gives you to move freely in a large work area. It is the Best Sellers Rank #17 in Power Paint & HVLP Sprayers.
- Brand: REXBETI
- Model: REX004
- Weight 3.65 pounds
- Voltage: 120 Volts
- Power consumption: 500 watts
- Flow rate: 750ml/min
- Max. viscosity: 70 DIN-s
- Container capacity: 1000ml
- Dimensions: 11.8 x 5.5 x 11.4 inches
- Ergonomic design
- Three spray patterns (horizontal, vertical, and circular)
- 4 nozzle sizes (1.5mm/2.0mm/2.5mm/3.0mm)
- An adjustable flow control knob
- 6.6 ft. long power cord
- 5-pcs paint strainers
- 1000ml high-capacity container
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Versatile use
Cons: Not suitable in the warm and dry climate
5. Graco Magnum Electric Spray Gun
Graco Magnum 257025 Project Paint Electric (airless) Sprayer comes with unique features, such as Stainless steel piston pump, Adjustable pressure, RAC IV Switch Tip, Flexible suction tube, Extra storage compartments, PowerFlush Adapter, 50 ft. of paint hose. You can control paint flow by adjustable the pressure control feature, and you can spray unthinned areas at high pressure. The flexible suction tube gives you to.
You can store the spray gun, extra spray tips, and power cord in the additional storage compartments. PowerFlush adapter works efficiently to clean the sprayer fast by connecting to a garden hose. The 50 ft. of paint hose lets you move freely in a large work area or reach peaks. You can spray paint on doors, trim, furniture, kitchen cabinet, interior walls, ceilings, decks, and fences. It is the Best Sellers Rank #2 in Power Paint & HVLP Sprayers on Amazon.
- Brand: Graco
- Model: 257025
- Weight: 16 pounds
- Warranty: 1 year
- Color: Multicolor
- Max flow rate: 0.24
- Max hose length: 50 ft.
- Power consumption: 110 Volts
- Recommended annual usage: 50 gallons
- Product Dimensions: 12 x 13.5 x 13.5 inches
- Compatible Tip Size: 0.009, 0.011, 0.013, 0.015 inch
- Stainless steel piston pump
- Adjustable pressure
- RAC IV Switch Tip
- 5-gallon bucket
- 50 ft. of paint hose
- 50 gallons annual usage
- Pump Armor Storage Fluid
- Flexible suction tube
- PowerFlush adapter
- Storage compartments
- ETL Certified
- Super easy to use (handy)
- Great quality finish
- Works great and fast (time saver)
- Cleanup is super fast
- Easy to store
Cons: Someone face a problem related to pump shaft
Find Out the Best HVLP Spray Gun for Woodworking
You have already gone through our reviews. Now, we want to guide you through the complete purchasing process. Before Buying a spray gun, you should consider the following features: –
User Convenience and easily operable
It is an essential factor that a spray gun should be readily operable. If you need to struggle to figure out the mechanism of a spray gun, then it is not an ideal one. We always recommend choosing something simple and very easy to use.
Paint thinning requirement is also one of the most important factors for an HVLP spray gun. Good quality HVLP spray gun requires less paint thinning. Some of them don’t require any type of paint thinning. Those HVLP spray guns don’t need any types of paint thinning, and they are the most convenient for use.
Cleaning and Maintenance
It would help if you chose the HVLP spray gun, which is easy to take apart and clean.
If you want to get a steel-made spray gun, make sure that it is made of stainless steel or not. There are many anodized steel-made spray guns available in the market that are much easier to clean.
Some HVLP spray guns also come with cleaning equipment and substances. These cleaning accessories and substances make the cleaning process more accessible, and it also saves them money by purchasing extra cleaning equipment.
Cleaning spray guns is essential. So, buy this one which is easy to clean.
Spray Patterns and Options
In our review, we have already discussed many HVLP spray guns with various types of spray patterns. Vertical, horizontal, and round were the most common spray patterns.
This spray pattern is significant for providing smooth finishes. Without the consistent spray pattern of a spray gun, you would not get a smooth application.
Always try to choose a spray gun with tight patterns to avoid over-spraying.
Tips and Needles
Many cheap HVLP spray guns come with plastic needles. Plastic needles are good for most woodworking projects. These plastic needles and tips are also perfect for long time use.
But, if you can invest more, you can buy the spray gun that comes with steel needles. Many HVLP spray guns have different-sized and shaped needles. If you want to use water-based paints, then steel needles must have to be rust-resistant.
Brass needled HVLP spray guns are also available in the market. This needle is very useful, and you can choose it for a long time without being worried about its durability. Choose the tips that are very easy to disassemble and clean.
Usually, aluminum-made or steel-made HVLP spray guns are more long-lasting than the others. Aluminum or steel-made HVLP spray guns are a bit more expensive than plastic-made HVLP spray guns, but they will provide you with long-term service.
We recommend choosing durable HVLP spray guns because you will get the best service from them for a long period, making your investment successful.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is HVLP better than spray?
HVLP is twice more efficient than spray. Conventional spray guns only apply around 65% of your substance to the target. However, a good grade HVLP Spray gun will normally cost between $150 and $250 more than a conventional spray.
What is the difference between HVLP or LVLP spray systems?
Using HVLP guns requires a larger air compressor. However, LVLP atomizes better, sprays faster, and finishes better with less CFM but higher pressure.
Is airless or HVLP better?
HVLPs are finer than high production. A second control knob on HVLP guns regulates air flow, providing the operator more control over the fan size. Less overspray makes HVLPs ideal for working with expensive paint.
How much pressure does a HVLP gun need?
Paint is atomized into a gentle, low-velocity pattern using HVLP, or High-Volume/Low Pressure. Atomization usually requires less than 10 psi.
What pressure should I run my spray gun?
Smaller patterns require less pressure (15-50 psi). It’s a matter of taste, as no two sprayers will agree on the same settings.
Can you use a HVLP gun with an air compressor?
A turbine unit can supply high volumes of low pressure air to an HVLP spray gun. Also, a standard air compressor can feed it.
Can I use my compressor as a paint sprayer?
Using an air compressor and a paint sprayer is a proven way to paint swiftly and precisely. Combining these two tools allows you to paint a larger area faster and more evenly.
Do you have to thin paint for a HVLP sprayer?
In average, diluting latex paint should be 10%, or 1 gallon paint to 1/4 cup water, if you’re not using an airless sprayer. If you’re using an HVLP sprayer or handheld device, up the water percentage to 20-30%.
Hopefully, you have got a clear idea about the best 5 HVLP spray guns for woodworking which are best in different five aspects. You need to choose the right product depending on the type of project you have done in your woodworking jobs. From our perspective, the Yattich paint sprayer is the best option for woodworking, especially if you find an all-inclusive spray gun. The HomeRight HVLP woodworking paint sprayer is another excellent alternative that comes with plenty of essential and outstanding features.
If you are simply looking for an overall value for money product, then Rexbeti HVLP electric spray gun might be the best option. That’s not mean the other products on our list are any less. Every one of them is an excellent product including their own advantages and disadvantages as well. So, please choose one of them according to your requirement.