Table of Contents
Properties and Uses of Eastern White Pine
- Other Names: Whitepine, Northern Whitepine, Waymouthpine, and Softpine.
- Scientific Name: Plnus stronus L.
- Genera: Pinaceae
- Places where these trees are found: All the forest lands of the United States of America.
Physical properties of Eastern White Pine
- Color: The color of the timber tree wood is lite brown; a reddish glow is often found. If the wood is placed in an open place, the color gets deeper with time.
- Shrinkage: The dimension of shrink is very low, the radial shrinkage is 2.1%, tangenital shrinkage is 6.1%, and total volumetric shrinkage is 8.2%. The ability to keep the stability if this wood is of high quality.
- Workability: The work can be done easily on the wood, the adhesive can be applied easily, and the wood can be easily polished.
- Weight density and specific gravity of the wood: The wood is light in weight. Based on the volume of the wood at the raw state and the weight of the wood at the dry state, the specific gravity of the wood is 0.34 and based on volume at the raw state and 12% of humidity, the specific gravity is 0.35. Therefore the density of the wood at 12% humidity is 402 kg/cubic meter (24.50 lb per cubic foot)
- Natural Durability of the wood: Timber tree wood is medium decay-resistant, and paul wood is perishable.
- Treatability of the wood: The paul wood is preserved in the pressure method, but timber wood is impenetrable in partially preserving.
- Seasoning properties: It can easily be dried in a kiln.
- Moisture green condition: Hardwood contains approximately 60%, and sapwood contains 150%.
- Structure of the wood: These wood are made of straight fibers, medium soft in strength, uniformly textured, nonporous wood. The annual growth contains circular marks among soft genera of the pine woods; only this wood creates a few growth circles during the wood sawing.
Mechanical Properties of Eastern White Pine
On the radial surface, the sign of the growth circles is absent.
- Modulus of rupture: In the raw form, the wood offers a modulus of rupture of 33.79 Newton per square millimeter (4900 lb per square inch); in 12% humidity, it displays the modulus of rupture 59.31 Newton per square meters (8600 lb per square inch).
- Modulus of elasticity: In raw state displays the modulus of elasticity of 0.0068 million Newton per square millimeter (.99 million lb per square inch), in 12 % humidity, the modulus of elasticity displayed by this wood is 0.0385 million Newton per square millimeter (1.24 million lb per square inches ).
- Work on Maximum Load: It offers 0.144 kg per cubic centimeter (5.2 lb per inch) in raw condition. In 12% humidity, it offers .188 kg per cubic meter (6.8 lb per inch).
- Impact Bending: To entirely break the wood with a hammer of 22.68 kg (50 lb), the required height for the hammer is 43.18 centimeters in the raw condition of the wood and in a state of 12% humidity 45.72 centimeters (18 inches).
- Compression parallel to grain-maximum crushing strength: In the raw state, the measurement for this parameter is 16.83 Newton per square millimeter (2440 lb per square inch), and in 12% humidity, it is 33.10 Newton per square meter (4800 lb per square inch).
- Compression perpendicular to grain-fiber stress at the proportional limit: In the raw state, it is 1.52 Newton per square millimeter (220 lb per square inch); in 12% humidity, this becomes 3.03 Newton per square millimeter (440 lb per square inch).
- Shear parallel to grain-maximum shearing strength: In the raw state, this parameter’s value is 4.69 Newton per square millimeter (680 lb per square inch), and in the 12% humidity state, the parameter becomes 6.21 Newton per square millimeter (900 lb per square inch).
- Tension perpendicular to grain-maximum tensile strength: In the raw state, this parameter is 1.72 Newton per square millimeter (250 lb per square inch), and in 12 % humidity, this parameter of the wood becomes 2.14 Newton per square millimeter (310 lb per square inch).
- Side hardness-load perpendicular to grain: In the raw state, this parameter is 131-54 kg (290 lb); in 12% humidity, the value becomes 172.37kg (380 lb).
Uses of Eastern White Pine
Especially all the eastern white pines are transformed into sawed wood, i.e., lumber. Sawed wood is used for various purposes. After cutting down, the wood obtained from the root level of the tree, i.e., second-growth timber, which is maximum (or least valuable), is used in constructing the big containers to carry goods or make small boxes for packaging. The woods of high quality are used for making the mold for roof casting.
Among the various important uses, making the door, frame of windows or sash, to trim, to make knotty paneling, to increase the finishing, to make caskets and besides making burial boxes, making of the shade and the map rollers, making the toys, making different things for rearing the dairy and poultry farms this wood is used. This wood is also used in making matches and cabinets. This wood is not used in making electrical poles.